Annual SponsorsBecome a sponsor of the San Antonio Bar Association, with special member benefits
The Community Justice Program does not currently accept clients by phone or through email. Current Legal Help desks open to the public are listed below. If you have a legal issue that needs attention and you do not qualify for our current Help Desks, please contact the Legal Aid Hotline (888)988-9996.
CURRENT HELP DESKS
Veterans Help Desk
2nd Friday of the month
1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Audie L. Murphy VA Hospital
7400 Merton Mintor Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78229
Are you a veteran looking for assistance with a legal problem?
You can talk to an attorney volunteer on the spot by visiting our Veterans Help Desk. Legal help is provided in person and at no cost. No legal advice is provided over the phone.
Before you come to a Help Desk, please ensure that you qualify for assistance and you know what to bring and what to expect by reading the information that can be found at the links below.
Our services are for low-income families with limited assets — approximately $25,000 annual income for an individual or $50,000 for a household of four.
Proof of Income
Each time you visit a Help Desk, you must bring at least one of the following as proof of income:
- Pay stub
- Disability, unemployment, social security, or other benefits approval letter
- Copy of employer-provided tax document (W-2 or 1099)
What to Bring
It is important to bring any legal and financial documents related to your case.
When you seek legal assistance at one of our Help Desks, you will be able to meet with an attorney on the spot. This volunteer will help you begin the process of solving your legal problem.
This may involve:
- Explaining the legal process
- Preparing legal documents
- Helping you complete forms
- Contacting outside agencies and courts
This may also include representing you in court through the duration of your case.
The Community Justice Program provides a free service to assist low-income residents with their legal needs. Your Help Desk visit is a one-time engagement with an attorney volunteer donating their time. Should you return after your first visit, you may be seen by a different attorney volunteer. Some clients may receive extended legal representation, which is determined on a case-by-case basis by CJP staff.
In order to serve as many clients as we can, we follow these guidelines:
- Space is limited and the program reserves the right to close Help Desk intake early to ensure all clients receive quality service
- Clients remain self-represented unless notified otherwise by a CJP Staff Member
- Clients are responsible for correctly filing documents in their cases and appearing for court dates